On this page
CASA and BRN Benchmark are committed to respecting your right to privacy and protecting your personal information. CASA and BRN Benchmark are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth). Our staff are trained to respect your privacy in accordance with our standards, policies and procedures.
1.1 Any personal information you provide to CASA or BRN Benchmark Pty Ltd is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). CASA and BRN Benchmark Pty Ltd can only collect, use and disclose that information in accordance with that Act.
1.2. This privacy statement explains how CASA uses the personal information you provide when you purchase something from CASA's online store.
2. The information we collect
2.1. The type of information we collect depends on the reason for which it is provided.
2.2. When you place an order through this website, we need to know your name, email, phone number, address and credit card details. This enables us to process your order and to maintain your account.
2.3. You can choose to receive updates from us by subscribing to our mailing lists. Where you do this, we may need to know your name, email, phone number and address.
2.5. For more information about the types of information we collect, please see the section headed 'The Information we collect' in CASA's privacy statement.
3. How we use your information
3.1. We will only collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
3.2. We may disclose your personal information to third parties if:
- you have consented to that
- the disclosure is required or authorised by or under law
- you have violated the terms and conditions for the online store
- the disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
3.3. For information about how CASA holds, protects and disposes of your information, please see:
3.4. Your credit card details will be stored not by us but by our service provider eWAY Australia. All transaction data is encrypted for storage within eWAY’s bank-grade data centre. For information about how your credit card details are stored, please see sections 4 and 5.
4. BRN Benchmark and Shopify
4.1. The online store is managed by BRN Benchmark Pty Limited and is hosted by Shopify Inc. They provide us with the online e‑commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you.
4.2. Your data is stored through Shopify's data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
5.1. The service provider BRN Benchmark Pty Ltd uses the eWAY Payment Gateway for its online credit card transactions. All online credit card transactions performed on this site using the eWAY gateway are secured payments.
5.2. All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
5.3. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers.
5.4. For more information about how eWay Australia holds, protects and disposes of your credit card data, please see the eWay Australia privacy statement.
6. Third Party Services
6.1. In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us.
6.2. However, certain third-party service providers, such as payment gateways and other payment transaction processors, have their own privacy policies in respect to the information we are required to provide to them for your transactions.
6.3. For these providers, we recommend that you read their privacy policies so you can understand the manner in which your personal information will be handled by these providers.
6.4. The third party services we use include Google Analytics. For more information about this and other third party services we use, please see the section headed 'Third party services' in CASA's privacy statement.
7.1. To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
7.2. If you provide eWAY Australia with your credit card information, the information is encrypted using 128 Bit secure socket layer technology (SSL). Although no method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure, we follow all PCI-DSS requirements and implement additional generally accepted industry standards.
8.1. We use 'cookies' when you visit the CASA's online store. Cookies are small pieces of information that can be stored on your hard drive or in memory. They can record information about your visit to the site, allowing it to remember you next time you visit and provide a more meaningful experience.
8.2. The following table lists the cookies we use. You can choose not to allow some or any of them.
|File name||Functions and features|
Allows Shopify to store information about your session (referrer, landing page, etc).
Persistent for 30 minutes from the last visit
Used by our website provider's internal stats tracker to record the number of visits
Expires midnight (relative to the visitor) of the next day
Counts the number of visits to a store by a single customer.
Stores information about the contents of your cart.
If the shop has a password, this is used to determine if the current visitor has access.
9. Links to other websites
9.1. CASA's online store may contain links to third party websites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those sites or for any links contained in them. We encourage you to read their privacy statements.
10. Accessing, and seeking corrections to, your information held by CASA
10.1. You have the right to access the information CASA holds about you by requesting this under the Privacy Act or the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth).
10.2. The Privacy Act also allows you to ask us to correct the information we hold about you. We will respond to the request within 30 days and will not charge for it.
11.1. If you believe CASA has breached your privacy rights, you can register a complaint with our Privacy Contact Officer. We will respond to the complaint within 30 days.
11.2. Alternatively you can make your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). For information about doing that, please see the OAIC's website.
12. Contacting us
Contact our Privacy Contact Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to:
- access, correct or amend any personal information we have about you
- register a complaint
- obtain more information about a privacy matter.
Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to Purchasers. By proceeding with an order, Purchasers agree to be bound by them.
1.1 In this Agreement, the following terms have the following meanings:
- Agreement means these terms and conditions
- CASA means the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and its agents and contractors
- Communicate has the same meaning as in section 10 of the Copyright Act
- Copyright Act means the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth.)
- Intellectual Property Rights include copyright, registered and unregistered trade marks (including service marks) and registered and unregistered designs, whether or not such rights are registered or capable of being registered
- Policies mean the 'Delivery Policy' and the 'Returns and Refunds Policy' found elsewhere on the online store
- Purchaser means any person wanting to obtain products
- product means any good or service offered by, or obtained or distributed from, the online store
- Promote, in relation to products, includes using products to enhance the demand for other goods and services
- Redistribute includes offer for redistribution
- Resell includes offer for resale, whether through an online auction site or otherwise
- Reproduce in material form has the same meaning as in section 21 of the Copyright Act
- Online store means this website
- Safety Information product is a product that is primarily intended to provide aviation safety information.
2.1 In this Agreement, unless the contrary intention appears:
- words in the singular number include the plural and words in the plural number include the singular
- words importing a gender include any other gender
- words importing persons include a partnership and a body whether corporate or otherwise
- clause headings are inserted for convenience only, and have no effect in limiting or extending the language of provisions, except for the purpose of rectifying any erroneous cross-reference
- all references to clauses are to clauses of this Agreement
- reference to any statute or other legislation (whether primary or subordinate) is to a statute or other legislation as in force from time to time
- where any word or phrase is given a defined meaning, any other part of speech or other grammatical form in respect of that word or phrase has a corresponding meaning.
3. Permitted uses
3.1 Purchasers may only use the products for personal purposes, for non-commercial use within their organisation, or for educational purposes permitted under the Copyright Act.
4. Prohibited uses
4.1 Without CASA's prior written consent, a Purchaser must not:
- resell products or allow them to be resold
- redistribute products or allow them to be Redistributed
- use products for advertising, promotional or any other commercial purposes (including competitions)
- use products so as to represent that the Purchaser has any affiliation with or endorsement from CASA that it does not have.
4.2. Other than uses permitted under the Copyright Act or without CASA's prior written consent, a Purchaser must not:
- modify or adapt a product
- reproduce a product in material form
- publish a product
- communicate a product to the public.
4.3. Where CASA reasonably believes that a Purchaser intends to use a product for a purpose prohibited by clause 4, it may:
- cancel that Purchaser's order
- refuse to accept future orders from that Purchaser.
5. CASA warranty
5.1 CASA warrants that by using the products in accordance with this Agreement, the Purchaser will not infringe any third party's Intellectual Property Rights.
6. Limited warranties and liability
6.1 The Purchaser acknowledges that CASA provides Safety Information products as information only and they are not designed to be used in place of the appropriate civil aviation regulations, orders, advisories or operational information.
6.2 CASA makes no warranty that:
- the information in the products or on the online store will be current, accurate or complete
- to the extent that access to the products relies on software, that access will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free.
6.3 CASA will not be liable for any loss or damages arising from the use of any Safety Information product:
- other than for information only
- that has been modified or adapted for a purpose other for its original purpose to provide information only.
6.4 Subject to clauses 5 and 6.3, CASA will not be liable for any damages (whether direct or indirect) arising from the use of:
- any product
- any information on or made available through the online store.
7. Transfer of risk
7.1 The risk of loss for products passes to the Purchaser when CASA delivers them to the carrier.
8.1 A provision (or part of a provision) of this Agreement that is unlawful or unenforceable may be severed from this agreement and the remaining provisions (or parts of the provisions) of this Agreement continue in force.
9. No merger
9.1 The rights and obligations of the parties under this Agreement do not merge on completion of any transaction contemplated by this Agreement.
10.1 Waiver of the requirements of any provision or of any rights or obligations under this Agreement:
- must be in writing signed by the party entitled to the benefit of that provision, right or obligation
- is effective only to the extent set out in any written waiver.
11. Assignment and novation
11.1 A party may only assign its rights, or novate its rights and obligations, under this Agreement with the prior written consent of the other party.
12. Other agreements
12.1 This Agreement applies in addition to terms and conditions imposed by the Policies.
12.2 This Agreement and the Policies:
- represent the entire agreement between the parties with respect to their subject matters
- supersede all previous agreements or understandings between the parties in connection with those matters.
13. Governing law
13.1 This Agreement is governed by the law of the Australian Capital Territory and the parties submit to the non‑exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that jurisdiction.